Sunday, March 26, 2006

Good half marathon preparation for London Marathon

As the weather was nearly perfect yesterday, and after a bout of pre race nerves from Mrs. B (she knows what I mean), we finally found ourselves running City-pier-city half marathon in The Hague. Starting right at the back of the field (great because that way you only overtake people throughout the whole race) Mrs. B and I crossed the start and finish line together. Not exactly hand in hand. In fact I was hoping Mrs. B might slow down a bit during the last 3 km but no. Finished in 1:49:49, Ave HR 145 and felt great at the end. Really could have gone on. This was more than 4 minutes inside my split needed for London so I was delighted. Not so pleased that we had to then run for the train to get home but other than that, a great day.

I am pleased for Mrs. B in that she has come back from a pretty miserable injury that has really kept her out of running for nearly 12 months so it was a great run yesterday. But I still didn't give her any of my jelly babyies - far too precious.

Why is it, and it has to be said, especially in Holland, groups of people who do sport together (running, cycling, squash) feel it necessary to wear exactly the same clothing? (normally pink, orange or yellow). Then when running decide that they must run 5 abreast on the road and with this air of arrogance, feel it their duty to not allow you to pass (probably because you are not wearing their ridiculous team colours). Prats. Oh that reminds me, where has that bizarre new sport of "Nordic Walking" appeared from? Don't people realise how daft they look dressed up in ski jackets and walking along with ski poles in bright sunny weather? Not a snow flake to be seen? Worryingly it seems to have taken off so expect to see a group of them protesting to the Olympic association for it to be included in London 2012 as an Olympic event. Not wanting to generalise (but I can because it is my blog!), but I think that from what I have seen you have to either have a beard, eat lentils or wear open toed sandels to be considered as a Nordic walker.

Also this post would not be complete without saying a big "well done" to Reading FC my club for over 35 years for getting promoted to the Premiership yesterday. URZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

1 comment:

@GirishMallya said...

Amazing performace. Keep up the good work. Best wishes. G