Friday, March 03, 2006

32km and who forgot to put the bins out?

Nice thick layer of snow on the ground today, sub zero temperatures and a wind coming straight off the Polar ice cap mean that it must be the day for a long run. I am actually running the LSR (long slow run) today as I am travelling this weekend away on business, somewhere hot, which means I stand nil chance of running more than about 8km on a gym running machine on Sunday when I would normally run my LSR. 32km to get through today so hoping for a quick blast of tropical air to thaw everything. Hoping in vain of course. As long as it doesn't rain it should be OK.

In fact I have just, inadvertently, checked the ambient temperature outside as we (read, Mrs. B) forgot to put our wheelie bins outside this morning which enabled me to make a complete fool of myself by running down the road in my rather un-trendy dressing gown at 07:45 with a bin behind me shouting "Hey, stop." to the driver of one of those industrial wheelie bin lorries. As we create more rubbish than the normal nuclear family (don't ask me why as I do not know) we have two bins and once I had stopped the driver in his tracks Mrs. B appeared with the other bin, in a rather fetching get-up of untied running shoes (dangerous don't you know), light blue dressing gown, a rather "modern" hairstyle and not a lot else. I can tell you it was cold.

Last night watched a TV program about 12 runners, all very unfit, training for Flora London Marathon. It was very inspiring as few of them could actually run one mile on the first program last night but each one had a personal reason to want to get to the start line in April. It just goes to show what people will go through to train for this. Good luck to all of them.

No comments: