Thursday, April 27, 2006

So what's next?

Now I can walk properly and I don't need help getting downstairs, the next period of time allows me to focus on the next challenge. I have already applied for a place in the New York Marathon in Nov. But as the chances of getting into this are small I have now worked out a contingency plan. If I don't get a place at NY I will attempt the Bedders Half Marathon record in October in Amsterdam. At the moment this stands at 1:47 so should be a doddle to beat that (full of confidence you see after I broke the 4-hour mark in London!). It also means I only need to do a 12 week training program rather than the 18 week Hal Higdon for a full-on marathon.

In fact the next marathon I run (either NY or London again) I am going to look for a new training program. No real reason, just that I have used his program (intermediate 1) for three marathons now and it is time for a change. So any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Also, I think the next barrier to get through is to try and run a 1:45. That would be cool.

And to make things a little worse it looks like my all - time training partner and mate is leaving Holland to new challenges in England. So I will also probably be on the look out for a new LSR partner. Anyone reading this and who fancies getting up early most Sunday mornings for a nice long run, you know where to contact me. Somehow I think there won't be many takers which will be a shame. Perhaps I'll have to poress gang someone. Hmm, I think I know who......

OK. Back to the sofa and, all being well, I'll be back out on Saturday for my first post FLM run. And in truth, I can't wait.



3 comments:

@GirishMallya said...

Looking forward to your new blog for NYC!!

sue said...

Well done Bedders - you are a speedy one!

There are a gang of us coming out to Holland next year - not sure just when, we may be doing a race or just coming for a fun run weekend. Perhaps you would like to meet up with us and give us some 'how to speed up' tips??

Bedders said...

cdk - Great! I'd love to meet up. Not sure I can help on speed tips, but can advise on where to stay etc...(probably cheaper to book up in Holland than if from outside)if you need that kind of help. A very good race to come over for is City Pier City in the Hague in march which has distances from 1km, 5km, 10km and a 21km. Also Rotterdam and Amsterdam Marathons of course.

Or if you come for fun Holland does that pretty well as you know! You've got my email address so feel free to use my local knowledge.