Friday, August 04, 2006

Cold showers

Thanks to everyone who has supported my attempts to get back to a decent weight over the week - including Mrs. B who has produced a damm good salad a couple of nights this week to eat for supper. I am now signed up for the Amsterdam Half on October 9 and trying to get motivated to keep up with the Hal Higdon Half training program.

This week has gone well. I have felt pretty grotty after running, but have kept to the schedule which in itself is a victory. Have run 3 times and each time felt like I have been pulling a large truck behind me such is the excess baggage. However, on Wednesday I did manage an 8km in 39:15 with HR at ave 140 so must be getting better. And the scales last night said 79.3 kg.

The week would have been a whole lot better had our hot water boiler not broken down resulting in much swearing and cold showers for Bedders post-run. Grandad Brian was not impressed because we did not have one of those awfully expensive but frightfully sensible service contracts in place. You live and learn.

Anyway, with my weekend running partner having run off (literally) to the UK I am now thinking about joining a local Dutch running club - the Leiden Road Runners. I have no experience of such clubs either in UK or NL so am a little unsure as to what kind of group I will be joining. I know that it will help my motivation (and my Dutch) but just not sure what these clubs are like. Best try it for a few weeks and report back - anyone got any views on running clubs generally? Will I be forced to wear their Club colours when I run?

Forgot to mention - going back to a post sometime ago when I said that everywhere I ran, someone in a car tries to stop me to ask directions to a place that I don't know, well, can you believe it, it happened in Chamonix in France. I ask you - do I look french? "Je woon niet in de ville" - was my awfully quick and completely double Dutch/French reply when stopped. That will teach them.

1 comment:

@GirishMallya said...

I can't imagine myself running with a group, as adhering to others schedule can be daunting. The best thing about running is that it’s an individual sport and you don't really need anyone. I guess it’s a question of getting used to it. Initially I did not have a choice so had to run alone. Recently I had got a option of a race buddy but decided against it, as I was very comfortable running as per my own whims and fancies.