Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Flora London Marathon 2007 application

After spending the last two evenings watching friendly football matches in Holland between ADO Den Haag and Sheffield United, and Sparta Rotterdam v Blackburn Rovers, I am of the opinion that the second love of my life, Reading FC have nothing at all to fear in the premiership this season.

Furthermore not only have I been at footie matches, I have also been keeping up with my Amsterdam schedule and running to plan - two 8km in the last two evenings.

The Flora London Marathon magazine is now out and once my copy lands in Holland I'll be applying again. I am still not sure if it is better to apply from a UK address or a foreign one - but on the basis that last year I got a place in the ballot using my UK address, I'll try the same again. Actually it probably doesn't matter either way. If I do not get in thru the ballot I will buy a place via a Dutch travel company at 700 Euros according to last year's prices. Frankly I would love to do a charity place again, but the effort to go back to the same people to ask for money is too daunting. I'll give them a years' break before doing that again.

PS well done to CM on a fantastic fourth place in the recent Geneva Triathlon. See, that lung-busting run three weeks ago at 07:45 along the coast was worth it after all! Great result.

2 comments:

@GirishMallya said...

700 euros for a paid FLM seat, that is quite steep, participating from Europe. What according to you would be the charge for being a part of NY marathon, through a travel agency? I hope to do that some day as soon as I get get my marathon time to around 4hrs.

Anonymous said...

Girish - I guess it's the old powers of supply and demand at work. The 700 e includes travel to and from UK and 2 nights in a hotel in London so not so bad. NY is around 1600 e for travel and accom for 3 nights. Don't worry about your time - it's not a quick course in NY and there's no qualifying. Do it anyway!