Monday, July 31, 2006

A slightly larger Bedders returns from holiday plus latest news


What a superb holiday. Many, many thanks to T, C and l & m for a wonderful time in France. Such lovely company, such great weather and truely one of the nicest breaks we have had. We then spent 4 days in the Alps in Chamonix where I spent the whole time trying to dig deep into my memory of my geography degree and explain to KB how and what glaciers were. She must have been so bored by the end of it - more like a school trip than a holiday.

But, moving on, I just knew it. My experiment to prove that you cannot eat 3 croissants per day together with copious amounts of pate and cheese, drink a bottle of wine and exercise only once every two days worked. I am now lumbering around at 82kgs and time has come for the experiment to end.

In Chamonix I decided that the fact I was out of breath running for 5km was down to altitude. Having stepped on the scales last night I can confirm that it was sheer weight of body.

My Garmin tells me I have worked off over 8000 calories in the last 2 weeks which means my calories intake must have been fantastic. I think I deserve a pat on the back for eating and drinking so much without actually exploding.

So some DRASTIC ACTION IS NEEDED:

1. Apply today for my start number for Amsterdam Half on 9 October
2. Apply to run the new 10 mile distance at the Vlietloop in Voorschoten on 3 September
3. Find a few 10kms in the next few weeks

Also stop eating so much. Target weight 77 kgs by October 9.

Latest news - finished a 11.5 km run today in an OK time for a biggie (59 :45) and felt dreadful.

Latest, latest news - said good bye to my training partner and mate NE with a farewell curry and bottle of wine, who tomorrow travels to the UK to start a new job. All the best in UK. I hope you and E and T settle in quickly and keep in touch. Sad to say, but running will not quite be the same again.

3 comments:

beanz said...

Pleased you had a good time

and welcome to the 'losers club'!

@GirishMallya said...

Welcome back, am sure you will get back in shape really quick.

Anonymous said...

run, bedders! run! you're a good runner. :D

i'm trying to burn off some of my extra calories :)