Thursday, July 06, 2006

Better late than never


It always happens to me. Guaranteed. Put your life savings on it. A dead cert..........if I have to get back home from a long run at a certain time, I get lost and end up being very late.

I know that sounds stupid, but no more stupid than how I felt this morning when I looked in the mirror. "Time to go for a long run", I said to myself (how do you loose 3kg in two weeks anyway?). So armed with a litre of SIS Blackcurrent drink (if you have not tried it, please do, it is lovely) I set off, felt good at 4 km and went to try and find a new route home.

Fatal mistake. You know that road that you have seen from your car 100 times that looks like a good stretch to run? Well, when you are running, why does it seem to cease to exist? So I end up charging home through the local undergrowth, risking calf and achillies, arriving 15 mins late with Mrs. B standing outside the front door (had she been brandishing a tea towel, it would have reminded me of when I was about 8 years old and dragging myself away late from a football match with my mates, with my mum waiting for me because I was late for my tea). I mean, it's not as if I do it every night and I thought at 43 years old I could stay out as long as I wanted, but KB needed to be picked up from a party and Mrs. B had to go out spinning or something.

So Olympic record speed shower (you know, one of those when you get out of the shower sweating more than when you got in) and off to pick up KB.

Did she mind that I was 10 minutes late?...... not at all in fact I am sure she would have appreciated me arriving at least 20 minutes later!

Ever felt that you were in one of those situations when whatever you did you were never going to win? I think I will go off to the bottom of the garden for a quiet drink (see pic) before it rains.

1 comment:

Outsidenow said...

It's not an unusual predicament in which you find yourself Bedders.

I believe it's called being married and also being someone's dad.

Like the blog btw.