Thursday, June 08, 2006

Who invented speed sessions?

I have always felt that I am a one-speed runner - quite happy to run along at a comfortable pace. Feeling tired after a run, but never really pushing too hard and deep down knowing that there was more in tank if I needed it. But on the back of the fact that I want to get my half marathon and ultimately my full marathon time down to 1:45:00 and 3:45:00 respectively, I decided to try something a little different. In my quest to develop an ever changing and varied training program, last night I tried a speed session for the first time in ages.

My summary is that whoever designed these sessions as supposed fun was either a serial sadist or purely out to cause as much physical misery to runners as possible. It was tough. Maybe my target was too high or perhaps I am not fit enough to give one of these a go, but nevertheless it was tough. I ran only 7km but was doing 800m fast with a 200-300m jog in between and it never felt like it was coming to an end. My Garmin graph summary of the run (if you know what that means) is all over the place.

And did I feel any better? Nope, just knackered. Can't wait to next week's session (see, we have such short memories).

2 comments:

beanz said...

I don't think it is supposed to be fun.

Only afterwards!

I need ot do a bit of that too I think. Have you seen Yassos? They allow you more recovery and give you a target pace - so you would do 800 m in 3:45 and then 3:45 recovery and repeat.

And then each week you'd try to add one more rep.

See I know the theory - just can't do them!

@GirishMallya said...

I am not sure if speed training works for everyone(in terms adjusting ajusting to the speeds). Now a days when I try to run at a pace significantly higher than my regular pace, I injure some or the other part of my leg muscle. I think the best way to put speed training into action would be on a treadmill and not roads...