Wednesday, May 14, 2008

First outing as a Pirate

A short report on the sprint tri that I did on Sunday. Firstly, I could not believe all the preparation that was needed. It made running look positively straightforward - just turn up wth a pair of shoes and off you go. I was hoping to go under 1:30 :00

My splits were:

Swim 8:27 I had hoped to do it in 8:45 so that was a PB as all my training was around 9:00
T1 1.59 If I had heard the lady asking me for the swim cap back when I had got out of the pool and not had to run back to give it to her then I might have done this in half the time
Bike 44:45 This was the best bit. I surprised myself in averaging 32.5km for the bike leg
T2 1:30 Reasonable I suppose......not sure what time I should be doing this in.
Run 23.57 was the hardest part and frankly I was a bit disappointed in this time - but it was x country.....

Total time: 1:19:58 placed 247th out of 514

I was delighted to beat 1:20:00 and reckon that it may be hard to beat at Henley in July.

Thanks to NE for coming with me and putting up with the early start and of course to all the Pirates for the support.

Just found out last night that I did not get a place in the Lottery for the NY City Marathon in Nov. Oh well, that means a guaranteed place in 2009 as that is 3 rejections but I must now find something for the Autumn. I am so tempted to find a tri 70.3 but there again may run Amsterdam.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am a little confused. What were the distances for the Tri you did? The only tri's I know about are the olympic tri and the Ironman tri.

Am new to this sport, so pardon my ignorance.

Bedders said...

Don't apologise as it it's all new to me as well. This was a real baby tri - 400m swim, 25k cycle and 5km run. But the run felt like 25km after all that activity before it!! I really fancy one more of these then I will move up to olympic distance or maybe go straight to Ironman. Mad.

Bedders said...

tee hee indeed! boo hoo more like...

@GirishMallya said...

Now it makes sense... I wish I could find tri's in India. Will try and find something in the first quarter of 2009, which is after my Bangalore ultra in Mid-may.

Any idea if its possible to rent bicylces at Tri's (do organisers provide that option or is it easy to find a bike locally, carrying your own is not really practical for me). I want to start off with a Olympic distance in 2009, MDS and Ironman are my goals for year 2010.

I have always wanted to do a Ironman since childhood, MDS ambition is more recent.