Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The secret of my Amsterdam success

I was so not looking forward to running Amsterdam due to a number of injuries, niggles and general lethargy that I think, by default, I have cracked the art of this running lark.

Total apathy before and during the race seems to have worked. Before the start I was at the ubiquitous exhibition for about two hours and whilst taking my time to get changed, was totally relaxed. In fact I was yawning so often I thought I was about to fall asleep. A quick coffee 30 mins before the race, a run to the loo and then off to the start line.

With about 10 mins to go before the start I decided on my race strategy - if was to get anywhere near 1:45 then I had to get the first 10km out of the way in under 50 mins. That would put me at least in with a chance. Knowing that I had not done the training mean't that it was more than likely that come the 18-20 km mark I would have very little left in the tank and as such would be running on air.

And that is exactly what happened. A 47:12 min first 10km.

So the plan worked. As I flaked out towards the end (I ran the 20th km in 5:30) I knew that the start had given me the chance to get under 1:45 for the first time. So onto the next challenge. A sub 3:50 FLM 2007 (now that would be something!). But I suppose I had better get a place first before getting too excited.

As for Mrs. B - well, what a performance. Myself. KB and CB all thought she had come in the top 10 as we could not see any more than 8-9 women in front of her. However, we are talking female runners here and as such there must have been a few women who ran past us who, not to be too impolite, looked more like men. You see, that's what happens if you train too hard.....

3 comments:

Outsidenow said...

Well done on the races to you both. Enjoyed reading the report.

Funny how running without the proper prep usually bites you on the bum but ocassionally things just click. I don't know if that's just the relaxed state of mind or something.

Not bad going for an old guy!

beanz said...

so another good reason for not training too hard - thanks ;)

Anonymous said...

outsidenow - thanx. one of those rare occasions, as you say, that it just happens to work out. It's the old guys you want to be aware of!!!

beanz - lol. see what can happen!